Home > Green Energy > Getting Grants From Your Council

Getting Grants From Your Council

By: Kelly Fenn - Updated: 11 Oct 2019 | comments*Discuss
Grants Council Energy Efficient

You can make your home more energy efficient in many different ways from smaller jobs like switching to energy saving light bulbs to bigger jobs such as double-glazing, an energy efficient boiler or insulation. These larger projects will save you more energy – and money - in the long run, but the outgoing costs in the short term can often put off even the most eco-conscious of homeowners. This is where getting a grant from your local council to help with the costs of the work can really assist – as well as adding pounds to your property’s value.

But obtaining a grant from your council isn’t easy, particularly when most people don’t know what’s actually available to them. Each area and council has different schemes available to their residents, so you should always check with your council directly. However we have come up with some basics to help you become more energy efficient in the home with energy efficiency and other grants.

Types of Grants

Most energy efficiency grants are actually provided by central government funds, but applications are made at a local level through your council. Firstly, you should decide on the type of project you’re interested in doing to improve your home’s energy efficiency. Generally speaking, the following projects could have funding available:
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Loft insulation and draught proofing
  • Heating
  • Appliances
  • Energy saving light bulbs
  • Micro renewable energy sources
  • Radiator panels

Finding out what’s Available

The type of grant you apply for depends on the area you live in. Below are a few examples.

The Warm Front Grant provides a package of insulation and energy efficient heating measures up to a maximum value of £2,700. The grant is available to the over 60s in receipt of some form of income or other benefit, or homeowners with children under 16 in the house also in receipt of a state benefit.

The Home Energy Efficiency Scheme could make up to £5,000 available to transform your home into a greener, more eco-friendly property. The same rules apply as with England’s Warm Front grant.

Under the Warm Deal programme, homeowners receiving some form of income or housing benefit, or the over 60s, have £500 available from central funds to spend on insulation to keep their homes warmer and more energy efficient.

Northern Ireland
The Warm Homes grant provides a package of energy efficiency and heating measures up to the value of £850. Energy efficiency advice and guidance is tailored to each household. The scheme is aimed at owner-occupiers and people who rent their homes from private landlords.

Local Schemes
There are often local schemes available that give you a particular benefit – such as a rebate on your council tax in return for Installing Insulation in your home. If in doubt about what is available, contact your council’s local energy efficiency or sustainability department, or check local media for the latest offers, particularly as it draws closer to winter.

Energy Saving Trust
The Energy Saving Trust is a non-profit organisation, funded both by government and the private sector, set up to address climate change issues. For information and advice on energy efficiency issues, and to see if you’re eligible for any local grant schemes through them, you can call their helpline on 0800 512 012 to speak to a local advisor.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I recently had my back door kicked in an now i'm left with a gaping hole an anyone could cum in. its soaking wet dowmstairs an i'm constantly danp an its starting to smell the draft is letting it waft even next door haue started to complain about the stench even my dog no longer cums in my rear entrence amymore
chocolate Starfish - 11-Oct-19 @ 3:12 AM
Hi.3 of my radiators have have started leaking so I've had to switch the radiators off.I also have windows that need replacing as these have been in for the last 20 years. I suffer from strokes, have arthritis in both my hands and have a skin disease.I claim PIP and ESA. I am coming up to 50 this November and am housebound inside my mortgaged home. Can l claim anything?
SV123 - 18-Sep-19 @ 1:51 PM
I am 49, On a wheel chair in my top floor flat. I live on ESA & PIP... PIP has obviously been reduced this year....idiots. I desperately need new windows. They are wooden and nearly 20 years old. Well I was so thankful for The leader of the Council Department of Disabled Grants. He came over after installing my new “walk in” bathroom that I can now get in on my wheelchair. But he said NO to giving me more from the 20 thousand pounds grant I was given to improve my bathroom, to give me some new windows. I accused him of taking the 15 thousand pounds for himself. His boss’s obviously said “No He Didn’t take any money”. And they also said my windows weren’t bad enough to get new ones.. Oh well, what can I do? I am trying to get advice off of everybody.
HillBill - 30-Aug-19 @ 2:17 PM
I am a 60year old womenI am ESA and on PIP l am disabled with arthritis my windows have been in for 25 year and let in a lot of cold air inthe winter it cost me a lot to heat my homel would like to find out if there is any grants that can help me keep my house warm and succeed
Josie - 28-Aug-19 @ 5:44 PM
Can you get secondary glazing on governments ECO scheme or through any other funding?
Kathy - 25-Aug-19 @ 3:56 PM
Hi I on pip and universal credit my front door is unsafe and have some windows that need replaceming.but due to paying motargae cant afford to replace them.they let the cold in in winter really bad and find heating these rooms in winter
Dawn - 21-Aug-19 @ 5:46 PM
I am 55 years old and bought my house 13 years ago when I was fit and healthy. I am now suffering from COPD, spondylolitis, and am now in receipt of benefits. ESA and PIP including the mobility component. In the last 2 years I have needed 5 or 6 repairs to the roof. I was wondering if there are any grants available for a replacement roof. I live in the Kirkby area of Knowsley. Thank you.
Diddy - 15-Aug-19 @ 1:13 PM
I need a new front and back door. They are very badly damaged and not secure and not heat efficient.Im unemployed atm on disability and have a mortgage but cannot afford to replace the doors. Can i get any help?
Bev - 5-Aug-19 @ 11:37 AM
I need free grant £1000 for my doors and windows also for ceiling grant oldham council.
Abdul - 15-Jul-19 @ 4:24 PM
We need new windows and doors as a lot of cold comes in and loads of condensation on windows, is there any help that can be obtained please, currently made redundant and on PIP and ESA. Is there any funding available to help us please.
Rose - 8-Jul-19 @ 1:47 PM
I am a homeowner, my front door is unsafe and I have windows that are broken, I am 57, I have ischaemic heart disease, phase 4 COPD, atrial fibrillation, left ventricular systolic dysfunction, inferior myocardial infarction, hypothyroidism, MI, and wondered if I could get help. Thankyou.
Don’t have one - 17-Jun-19 @ 11:57 AM
I'm a home owner in my 70s my husband in his 80s and he is in hospital for a while in intensive care, my back door is not safe to be on my own it's rotten including door frame, is there any help I can get towards the help of a new one as I don't feel safe the cheapest so far which includes frame,door,handles etc is £720 many thanks for reading brenda
Brenda - 29-May-19 @ 4:51 PM
I have just bought acouncil house and it’s in need of a rewire is there any help I can get
Fred - 28-May-19 @ 8:58 AM
I am a home owner and i bought my ex council house about 20 years ago i still have old wooden windows and doors that came with the house when built i am not working as i am sick i really need my windows and doors change to pvc as it wont be long before they start rotting please someone help give me some advice what to do.
albert shakes - 22-Apr-19 @ 9:35 AM
I have gas heating and there is a blocking in the pipe. I don't have any money to fix it I am 65 and serverly disabled with no heating, is there any help anywhere.
Chrissie - 9-Apr-19 @ 6:01 PM
Is there a grant for the supply of gas lines to a property
Bridget - 15-Mar-19 @ 9:34 AM
I just moved into council property is it any grant available which can help me to renew toilet and bathroom also the door frames and door are rotten I have two disabled kids with mobility problems
Marr - 13-Mar-19 @ 5:01 PM
Recovering throat cancer my windows doors need replacing as cold draughts come in is grant out there
Josh - 22-Jan-19 @ 5:42 PM
I am a homeowner and need Windows and doors I have 2 children under the age of 16. The Windows can't be opens because we can't close them back up. Is there anything that can help me please
Emma Grainger - 5-Jan-19 @ 8:24 AM
I live in a private rented house and in the dining room...two bedrooms there are no radiators. Landlord says he won't do it. Is there any kind of help plz
El - 29-Nov-18 @ 9:51 PM
Hi is there a grant to get a gas fire put in I’m disabled when alone in the house a fire would allow me to keep one room warm I’m on limited benefits is there any grants for window and doors My door is very insecure thank you
Corina - 10-Nov-18 @ 4:42 AM
Are there any help to replace windows that are draughty and therefore the house is never warm. I am redg. disabled and recently have been told l have liver cancer. I live alone and am not able to work.
Moo - 26-Oct-18 @ 6:50 AM
I have moved to downsize to a one bedroom house....there is no heating in the house but I have 2 electric heaters, one in the living room and one in the bedroom....there was storage heating but the previous owner had removed it leaving no heating at all....I am 68years old and get pension credit.....Ineed help to get heating put back in before the winter ......I must get heating in soon....
Batbara - 8-Oct-18 @ 7:22 PM
I have oil fired heating (no gas in our area) with an oil tank. They won't deliver oil to me as they say I have a split in the top of the tank (barely visible) which leaves me with the option of buying a new tank and associated work involved which is absolutely impossible for us. We are 84 and 74 respectively and only have state pensions. We don't get guaranteed Pension Credit only savings pension credit because Chris has a tiny private pension. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Son - 28-Sep-18 @ 8:08 PM
I live in a mobile home is there any goverment funding to replace windows .my 3yr old grandaughter has come to living with me now windows are rotton and its very draughty they also leak when raining.
Gilly - 30-Aug-18 @ 5:03 PM
Hi, I am disabled and desperate to get new windows fitted in my house, I can't afford to buy them,is there any grants or schemes I can get?Thanks Steve..
Steve - 15-Jul-18 @ 7:44 AM
Hi I have 3 speacial needs adults and they suffer with asma al my windows need changing there loads draft coming through I have got no money to replace them they are about 15 years old my windows is any grants for windows I am home owner to
Zara - 1-Apr-18 @ 8:41 AM
Hi we need new Windows.They have been in since 1975. I'm on DLA as I've got terminal cancer and kidney failure plus Raynauds which is a disease in itself hard to get warm. We are homeowners.Is there help out there.
Gayle - 13-Mar-18 @ 12:28 PM
Hi I live in sheltered housing im fifthyfive and have ms I have been my council flat for over three years I have complained about the cold several times I have had damp and mould in my bedroomthe windows havent been replaced since 1995 council said keep radiators on vents open radiators are under windows hench heat goes outside
Car - 6-Mar-18 @ 11:25 PM
I live in Birmingham, I work full time, I’m not on any benefits and was looking for grants to make my home more energy efficient. I have just done all my windows they are now double glazier. I’m haveing a extension added to the side of the house as my daughter and her family have moved in with us so the extension has taken my extra cash. Any guidance would be great.
Crazybarb64 - 23-Feb-18 @ 10:30 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments